The Duality of Small Group Training

IMAGE 626E89FE B079 4C4E 8734 BACA6E67F06D


This morning I was intrigued by the people exercising in the Small Group Training program. Their facial expressions were incredibly diverse; one appeared exhausted while another was clearly energized. Yet both appeared to be thoroughly engaged. What was going on here?

At the end of the workout, I approached one of the participants and struck up a conversation. " Why did you join the small group program?" I asked.

"Well, I was exercising on my own and I found that I needed some variety in the movements. I found I was doing the same thing and needed a change."

I followed up with another question, "Has it worked?"

"Yes, I needed the motivation of someone pushing me", she said.

Then she mentioned something that was very interesting. "I like the duality of the group. On one hand the companionship is nice, but on the other hand, I enjoy the competition."

"You mean competing against yourself?", I said.

"No, some of the exercises I don't do well, but watching the other group members makes me try harder. When I am done I feel exhausted but energized. I feel light."


H'mm the duality of the small group; companionship and competition, exhausted and energized. An exercise system that fosters companionship but remains competitive. A system that exhausts the participants, but at the same time energizes. How is that possible? Maybe, we have stumbled upon something here...

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]